Being the first rhubarb of the season so exquisitely young and tender I simply
- wash the stems
- cut them into pieces
- put them into a baking dish
- sprinkle with enough sugar to generate some syrup
- add slices of lemon, orange or kumquats
- and bake for about half an hour
to obtain a whole variety of rhubarby possibilities.
The exact "how to" you find here (by David Tanis) and here (by Rose Carrarini).
1) I enjoy the rhubarb right from the oven: hot or cooled down with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
2) I use the solid parts to let them sink into a batter for a delicious fruit cake
3) I purée the syrup and slices of lemon together with beetroot, apple and ginger for a sweet and bright magenta smoothie.